...I know I did. Last week was one hectic week. I helped to organize the Battle of the Bands for Heart to Heart (another one of my favorite charities), and it was rockin'. But now I am faced with that, I just got hit with a truck feeling. My body was craving something hearty, crunchy...and fried. I pulled myself off of the pavement and dusted myself off. It was time for some home cookin'.
I headed to City Shop to get a few ingredients and I could barely contain my excitement. It didn't help that "Who Let the Dogs Out" came on to my iPod while I was walking down the produce aisle. I was bobbing my head, and probably mouthing the words, but I didn't care, I was about to eat some fried seitan!
This recipe is ama-a-a-h-h-zing (yes, with an h). Here you are...Country Fried Seitan
2 packages Serenity Seitan
1 heaping tablespoon *nutritional yeast (optional)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 c. water
1 and 1/2 tbs. spicy brown mustard
1 tbs. baking powder
3/4 c. plain bread crumbs or panko
1 and 1/2 c. vegetable oil
1. If seitan cutlets are thick (1 inch or more), slice into thinner pieces, widthwise
2. In a large bowl, mix flour, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix thoroughly.
3. In a separate bowl, mix water and mustard
4. Add 1/2 of the dry mix to the wet mix. Mix thoroughly.
5. Add breadcrumbs and baking powder to remaining dry mix
6. Heat oil in large skillet
7. One at a time, dip each seitan piece in wet mixture, then fully coat each piece in dry mixture
8. Fry seitan, two pieces at a time, for 2-3 minutes each side.
*Nutritional yeast and other hard to find items can be found on iherb.com. They ship to China!
I just really needed some comfort food to feel better, and I after eating this, I definitely did.
Hi! I'm Lindsey, the owner of Serentiy Seitan. I love feeding people healthy and can't-believe-how-delicious-this-is food. I work and live in Shanghai with my husband and our three pets.