I am definitely Italian. Not the kind like, "My cousin Tony lives ova de in Jersey," but the kind like, "My grandmother was born in Italy." She met my grandfather in Italy during WWII. Hers is a crazy story of love lost, love found, and immigrating to America. I love my Italian roots. You can see it in my flailing hands when I talk (seriously, watch out), my generous nose, and my love of good food.
Tonight, after a long weekend, and a busy Monday, I needed carbs, and sauce, and cheese, and...seitan parmesan.
1 package Serenity Seitan
1/2 c. soy milk
2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1/4 c. flour
1/2 c. bread crumbs
1/8 tsp. fresh ground pepper
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. paprika
1/8 tsp. garlic
1/4 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried oregano
1 tbs. grated parmesan (for vegan version, omit)
3 tbs. of olive oil for frying
1 small jar red pasta sauce of your choice
3/4 c. grated mozzarella or if you can get it, buffalo mozzarella for vegan version, omit
1. Mix soy milk and apple cider vinegar in a shallow dish. Set aside.
2. Pour flour into a separate shallow dish
3. Mix together bread crumbs and spices in another shallow dish
4. Cut seitan pieces very thin if necessary. About 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick.
5. Dredge each piece in the flour, then coat with soy milk mixture, then coat in breadcrumbs. Set on a plate so the pieces are not touching.
6. Preheat oven to 215 C and heat olive oil in pan
7. When the oil is hot, cook seitan pieces until brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes on each side. Place cooked seitan on a paper towel.
8. Place seitan on foiled baking pan and pour about 1 c. of sauce over the top. Use more or less depending on your preference.
9. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese
10. Bake, uncovered, for about 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted
11. Cook spaghetti
12. Place spaghetti on plate, top with a piece of parmesan seitan
This definitely hit the spot. I just want to shout "Mama mia!" from the Shanghai rooftops.
Leave a Reply.
Hi! I'm Lindsey, the owner of Serentiy Seitan. I love feeding people healthy and can't-believe-how-delicious-this-is food. I work and live in Shanghai with my husband and our three pets.