Smoky Maple Seitan
Wow. June is definitely here. The temperatures are rising and the humidity is consistently sticky enough to make me feel kinda gross. Summer in Shanghai...no one loves it, but we all get excited when it comes anyway. A lot of people also get excited about sandwiches in the summer. I wanted you to get excited about it too, so here it is, the perfect vegan sandwich stuffer, smoky maple seitan.
1 package Serenity Seitan
2 tbs. maple syrup
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp. cumin
1 pinch cayenne pepper
2 tsp. liquid smoke (optional, but so good)
1 tbs. reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1. Slice seitan lengthwise into very thin slices, using a serrated knife
2. Mix all ingredients, except the seitan in a shallow dish
3. Add seitan to dish and mix well, making sure all pieces are coated well
4. Let marinate for 10-20 minutes
5. Heat 2 tsp. of olive oil in a pan
6. Only layer at a time place seitan strips in pan, cooking for about 1 minute on each side. If desired, add a small amount of leftover marinade to pan to each batch.
7. Remove from pan, sprinkle lightly with salt (if desired)
We had it on a multigrain loaf of bread with lots of lettuce and tomato. It was delicious! My husband was sad when he found out that we were out of bread, so he couldn't have seconds. He then proceeded to eat all of the seitan.
Hi! I'm Lindsey, the owner of Serentiy Seitan. I love feeding people healthy and can't-believe-how-delicious-this-is food. I work and live in Shanghai with my husband and our three pets.